Thursday, February 28, 2008

Real Merit Finds Favor!

"A work of real merit finds favor at last."
--A.B. Alcott



Just received my "win" from Ebay for the above button cards. More than likely , they have been resting in a sewing box for many years...collected notions of a seamstress that now has passed.

There is no question the Mother of Pearl buttons are beautiful...but, the artistry of the button cards is my LOVE! The sweet illustrations...the influence of the Victorian and Art Deco Eras....the distinct ornamentation of each companies wares...all provide a unique form of art. Obviously, the marketing department of button manufacturers stressed the importance of presentation. Even a simple white button should be graced with a beautiful, multi-colored, story telling card. This attention to detail and pride of presentation is the charm of the product.

Very often our focus can become the object...not what surrounds it...unfortunately, we sometimes think the mundane widget need not be graced with beauty for it only does a simple task...but, more often than not, it is the very garnish surrounding the object that provides the most pleasing visual.

I'm sure the customer that purchased the above cards enjoyed their beauty...but, knowing the era from whence they came, I would imagine the focus was on the need of a button. But today...my affection is for the card...I know for certain the artistry work has merit and definitely finds favor with me.

P.S. The baubles of Wednesday's post find a home on Friday. It was this...now it is that...

3 comments:

Carletta said...

Alexa: I so have to agree. The first thing I spotted in your pic was the girl and the lamb. My eye was drawn there. I collect vintage Valentines so that might be why.
But the buttons are gorgeous too.

Anonymous said...

Alexa, I always love your posts. Sorry I haven't been by in a while. I wish you could have seen a packet that some old sewing needles came in that I sold some time ago from the boutique. I found it in upstate New York. The old packet was covered in beautiful pink roses. ~ Lynn

Heidi said...

I am always buying buttons on cards for the cards, not so much the buttons...and then they sit in their nice holding tin in my "studio" because I can't bear to use or part with them.
I just take them out and look at them. You have inspired me to take some pictures of my favorites!
-Heidi