Saturday, July 12, 2008

The Games People Play...and Wear!

Why a Domino?
a little domino history.... Dominoes evolved from dice. In fact, the numbers in a standard double six domino set represent all the rolls of two six-sided dice. A set of Chinese Dominoes contains all the possible combinations (including duplicates). European dominoes use only the unique rolls (and add in the blanks). The word "domino" appears to have derived from the traditional appearance of the tiles - black dots on a white background - which is reminiscent of a "domino" (a kind of hood) worn by Christian priests. I have a huge affection for dominoes! Remember, I found an old...moldy...used...and weathered set of layered Dominoes on a trip across the pond. The "dot" side appears to be a 'celluloid-ish' (have no idea what it is) type of material...and the back layer is a painted black wood. There is true imperfections on each one. (this being a major attraction to me). I don't necessarily play dominoes...but, I do wear them!
It's all in the games people play....and wear!

3 comments:

BittersweetPunkin said...

That's a very neat idea!
Blessings,
Robin

Heidi said...

Hey there! Did you know the dots on a domino are called pips! I learned that recently but can't remember where?
-Heidi

Garden Antqs Vintage said...

My good friend recently gave me a domino necklace and I love it. Probably more because she made it!