Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Quilt 'til You Wilt!

"Asking a quilter to mend, is like
asking Picasso to paint your garage."
-Unknown
I have tried quilting....run into the problem of "instant gratification". When I create something....I need to see results quickly...this is not the idea behind quilting. I've known ladies to work on a quilt for months...or even a year. Holy cow, I would be crazy!! I personally need completion on a much more timely basis.

Quilting is a respected craft in my household. I love quilts and honor the time and talent each one requires. When I see a handmade quilt in a yard sale...my heart sinks for the maker...and sings for me! Many of my favorite quilts were the table spread on the ground for someone to lay their stuff on at a yard sale. I can snap a quilt out from under a ten year old, stained Mr. Coffee Maker, fourteen green and milk glass colored single stem vases, ump-teen stacks of books and broken 'Home Interior' plastic frames... and not knock over one item. Quilts can bring out my magician skills in minimal time!

Enjoy the beauty of color in quilts...even my paper versions! I just heard this the other day.....quilt 'til you wilt! Not a bad philosophy!

4 comments:

Dawn said...

I love quilts, too....fabric AND paper!

Tara said...

Love the color and texture of paper or fabric!

Whitney Johnson said...

Oh, I love quilts, too! I wish I could find more to rescue. Your peice is beautiful..
Have a great day

Colleen - the AmAzINg Mrs. B said...

I totally agree with you! I live on a street with 2 - count 'em -TWO quilt shops across the street from each other! I know women who would kill to live that close - and I don't quilt. But I do love them too! Love, love, love the paper piecing you've done - thanks for sharing!
Colleen