Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Pickles!


Just had to share one of my cooking (really it was just food assemblage) gifts I made this year. 

FYI:  I am a horrible food chemist....cooking to me is like learning to ride a bicycle every day of the year.  There is no logic...innate knowledge...Paula Dean instincts in my being that benefit the art of cooking.

So...fast forward to Christmas 2009!  I love PICKLES!  My friend is a great cook...even has a cooking show on television....and mentioned this recipe to me.  Ran home immediately and slapped on an apron and declared this would be one of my offerings of handmade goods for this holiday season!

Found the recipe online....did exactly how it described....waited patiently for three days....and taste tested the first homemade pickle by Alexa, and it was.....(small drum roll)....great! 

Simple recipe  (actually food assemblage):

get a large jar of koshed whole dill pickles
drain the juice
slice the dill pickles into half-inch pieces
layer back in the original jar
inbetween layers put 3-4 slices of pickled jalepeno slices
pour 2 tablespoons of apple vinegar in jar
pour 2 cups of sugar in jar (shake as you pour to make sure it goes all the way to the bottom
shake occasionally for one hour
place in fridge for three days, shaking occationally

Taste....done!   Eesy...peesy!

I officially am now declared a cook by my family! They feel I make more edible food if I don't involve heat!

No comments: