Thursday, July 24, 2008

Inspiration From Trash!

Trash Tribute No. 2
Isn't this green fantastic? Yes, this old oil lamp was in the trash! I rescued it several years ago while taking my trash to the dumpster in my hometown. The chimney was missing....the green was closer in color to dark brown-ish green because of the layers of dirt and soot...and of course, there was no wick. So, some minor updating was in order...plus, oodles of intense cleaning and soaking...but, the end result was wonderful. Simple plain lines and an outstanding green! This piece of discarded source of light is now our source of light, should the electricity go out. It has served us well through the years!

3 comments:

Lana Manis said...

Love the lamp! As they say: One man's trash is another man's treasure....

I've enjoyed my visit here this morning!

Whitney Johnson said...

I love trash! I have such fond memories of "dumpster diving" with my Dad and big brothers! My Dad was the scenery designer for many community theater shows all through my childhood, and we found many set piece elements in the trash (he stayed in the budget!). My cousins and I used to go trashing for fun when we were in our teens - once we found a policeman's wallet lying in the alley. That was exciting - of course we returned it. My favorite find as a kid were a bunch of brand new tweety bird posters. I gave them to all of my friends - it was quite thrilling!! :)...memories...

Cathy ~ Tadpoles and Teacups said...

Wow! It's amazing what a little elbow grease will do. My husband once brought home a set of golf clubs for me from our local dump. Only problem, I don't play golf. I guess it's the thought that counts. :)