Friday, January 4, 2013

Handmade Mini Quilt Runner!

During the moments of squirreled away creative time I had to think of something fun to do with these 5" square quilt pieces.  Not to complain about the sewing skills of the maker....but, nothing was cut "square".  This quilt, had it been pieced together, would have only fit on a cylindrical surface that was covered in huge lumps the size of a loaf of bread.  I had to massively chop, measure, cut and slice off some great colors just to square it up.  


Any who...my counter tops are a black speckled granite.  I felt the strip of black just in front of my stove needed a little pick-me-up!  So, I sewed them into a little strip about 3.5 feet long. Covered up the backside with some left over linen from another project and added a little hint of red rick-rack (the ultimate trim)....


Vah-vah-voom....a handmade mini quilt runner!


FYI:  If you are the least bit intimidated to grab some fabric and make something because of minimal skills...think of me...and the someone who pieced all these whack-a-doodle squares together!  Be bold and brave and just start whacking and sewing.  Please note how some of the squares are completely chopped, and some are elegantly placed on the edge.  We will consider it a dramatic pause in sewing creativity.


At the end of the day...it's a cute little runner for a weird little space.

2 comments:

Kit said...

So cool! I like it bunches. Kit

Debbie - StudioBeeCreations said...

loveeeee....working on my stash 'o blocks too!!...{{{d}}}}}