Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Unexpected Craft and Collection!

Do you ever wonder why things stumble into your path with this alarming amount of continuity...consistency...collectable-ness? Within 13 days of each other these three beaded baskets from the 1950's and 1960's have found their way to my house. In my head they are the next creative jump from the forever loved beaded fruit my grandmother had me create. I wonder who sat down...mulled at the beaded fruit...had a pile of safety pins and miscellaneous beads...and then said..."I'm going to make a basket." Thus, creating a crafting wave that now distinguishes itself as a collectible in 2008! It was not too long ago that I would have passed on these folk art gems. The "gaudy gorgeous-ness" leaned a little too far towards the "tacky trashy" side of crafting. But, I now view them through different eyes. Look at the time and detail put into each basket. I can't think of a time I would actually sit and string beads on a safety pin to create a basket in which to lay plastic fruit. My how times of changed...
Enjoy the visual...

4 comments:

Tara said...

A:

So funny, I made the beaded fruit with my grandmother also!That was such a nice time together!

Shelly G said...

When I stumble upon things like your basket... I wonder what people will be thinking when they look at my "creations" years down the road... will they wonder what I was thinking? Don't you think the baskets have aged in a lovely way? The beads make me wish we could go back to the dime store in which they were probably sold... and see how they were displayed...
shellys.hut@gmail.com

BittersweetPunkin said...

I have some beaded safety pin Christmas trees that I display every Christmas...they are neat!! I have a clear one, a green one and I am always on the hunt for a RED one to complete my set!!
Blessings,
Robin

Anonymous said...

What a fabulous find!! A couple of years ago my big sister made me a Christmas tree out of safety pins and clear beads. It's about 8" tall and has tiny twinkle lights up inside it. I keep it lit all year round. Just love it. ~ Lynn