Tuesday, October 28, 2008

It's Loud, It's Cheap and I Love It!

“It's loud, it's cheap, it's gaudy.
It's like everything I've ever done - I LOVE IT!”
-Betty Grable
There is something to be said about the above collection of words...and how they ever so define this unique light fixture. It delicately hangs in the middle of a wrap around stairwell at a store I visited. At first glance this is what goes through my head at the speed of sound: 1. Hmmmmm. 2. What is all that stuff? 3. What did the chandelier look like before all the embellishments...(internal edit begins). 4. Do I like it? 5. Oddly, enough I do like it. 6. I salute anyone with the guts to make this a focal point of their store. 7. Who is this person...I think we could be friends. 8. I might do something like this to my tacky brass chandelier and give it a little life. Yep, with all cylinders humming a flurry of creative critiquing rushes through my brain and in a minimal amount of time (the distance from the bottom step to the top floor, approximately 28 steps) I determine this is high quality "Gaudy Gorgeous" (remember a few posts back...this was my Dad's favorite term he used to define items he thought were beautiful). The mixture of beads, pearls, mix-matched shades, fringe, floral bits...and the ultimate crowning glory...ta-dah! the sunglasses perched on the top, clearly say to me, "It's loud, it's cheap, it's gaudy and I love it!" -thank you Betty, I took the words right out of your mouth.

3 comments:

Whitney Johnson said...

I absolutely love your quotes! You have the knack of finding just the right words out of someone else's mouth, and then adding you own words to make your posts so fun to read. Thanks! Happy Halloween...

Tara said...

I love it, too--could see it hagnging over a bathtub--real decadence!!
:0)
Tara

Lola Enchanted said...

This store is my absolute favorite! It's filled with such treasures!!!! I love seeing that chandelier again!!!!

Happy Halloween!