Tuesday, October 6, 2009

New Eyes!

Recently I went home for a few days...family duties. Had a little time to enjoy my surroundings for a change. It has been 20+ years since I lived here...and have learned that we often take for granted the artistic beauty that surrounds us. When I think of the farm....my brain automatically goes to getting up at 5am to beat the hot sun, shucking a truck bed of corn before noon, push mowing the 1+ acre lawn, pulling and setting tobacco for hours...the list goes on and on. A farmers daughter's work is never done, yet today....I see it differently.
It is quite true, minimal negative thoughts can invade many, many positive ones. What once seemed dirty....yucky...nasty...labor intensive...hard....now looks, beautiful....quiet... peaceful...aged....home.
Different times....different light makes all things look DIFFERENT!
Lesson to learn: don't let the less desired memories override the wonderful ones.
Stop and look at your surroundings with new eyes!

3 comments:

Joann Loftus said...

Thanks for the thoughtful insight! Beautiful photos of the farm.

terry said...

I AGREE. I WAS RAISED IN A FAMILY BUSINESS OF AGRICULTURE ( GREENHOUSES AND TRUCK FARMING) AND THERE WERE MANY TIMES GROWING UP THAT I HATED TO DO THE WORK. NOW I REALIZE THE VALUABLE LESSONS IT TAUGHT ME AND CHERISH THE GOOD MEMORIES. THANKS FOR SHARING- AND YOUR WORK ROCKS!

Tiffani said...

I agree completely from my own experience of growing up on a beef and grain farm in the midwest. And I LOVE taking my kids back there now and all that they get to experience at Grandpa and Grandma's that so many kids don't have the opportunity to do.