Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Sterling Silver Salt-N-Pepper Garnish!



I've never had a lot of sterling silver....it spells high maintenance.....expensive.......not dishwasher safe....and there doesn't seem to be a lot of family heirlooms to pass down.  But, I've always loved the look of it.  So, with moments of creative, hopeful spirit, I began my hunt for old sterling silver.  It had the typical criteria....old... inexpensive...dented...oddly pretty in a beat up sort of way.  Needless to say, my purchases have been minimal.  Sterling silver is not that easy to find.

Although, last summer my daughter and I went to the fabulous Nashville, TN flea market. We came home with "quantity" being our theme of purchase. Lots and lots of little stuff. One of the favorite bargains of the day, was a tiny sterling silver individual salt and pepper set.

In my moment of purchase I neglected to do some general "once over" checking of this tiny pair.  The main problem being, the tops would not come off, without bending....denting....or damaging the silver.  So, I now own an adorable sterling silver salt and pepper set that cannot hold salt or pepper without loading it one granule at a time....NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. 

Thus, Plan B:  I ran a jump ring through the holes in the top...added a sad little pearl with its pearl worn off, added the lovely nickel ball chain....and table top garnish for my neck.  I just love it!  It jingles a bit and creates lots of conversation at check out counters. 

Never underestimate the power of a good condiment server!

1 comment:

Lori R. said...

I have discovered your blog by way of Main Street Memories. I took a minute to go through your posts. You have such neat ideas!! Love it!! I am a new follower, and I will be back for a visit!