Monday, June 23, 2008

The Workbasket!

The stack of "The Workbasket" magazines were very interesting to me. The majority of them were published in my birth year, so looking at what was popular in crafting at the time of personal world entry proved to be quite fascinating. Oddly enough, it was not that much different than what we currently do...certainly techniques, colors, supplies have advanced and broadened...but, the simple basics of enhancing our clothes...the pre-existing decor in our homes and the art of aesthetically making things more pleasing is somewhat the same. We all just want to put our own 'two cents' into our surroundings...and hopefully provide a loving and beautiful self and home.


The printing process has been updated...no color photos below...but, sometimes nothing is better than a black and white image to make us more daring to stretch our own color palettes to create.

"The philosophy behind much advertising
is based on the old observation
that every man is really two men ,
the man he is and the man he wants to be."
-William Feather
No more brilliant words have been spoken than that of Mr. Feather. The advertising was fabulous. Clearly the product lines of 1963 and 64 have come a long way. After reading just a few ads, I felt like a living dinosaur. But, it did provide oodles of entertainment and laughs.
The "Compresso Belt" is something I might look into now...but, it does look a little confining to wear with a t-shirt, shorts and flip flops for the summer. Hmmmm.


The "Hard of Hearing" 45 RPM was frightening to see! Imagine giving yourself a hearing test by listening to sounds played on a turntable. Sounds like the definition of irony to me.

But, the old embroidery patterns were great! Every magazine contained a three page fold out. Can't wait to apply them to something...once I learn how to embroidery.


Just had a great time thumbing through my era of crafting. It's just nice to know some things do not change..... too much!


4 comments:

Cathy ~ Tadpoles and Teacups said...

Not sure how one would use the "compresso belt"--it looks a little scary. lol

Have a great week~

Tara said...

Compresso belt--if it had the desired effect, i could give up air!

Shelly G said...

Oh my gosh! My mom used to get Workbasket... I haven't seen them in years... Now I want to go out and find a couple... Talk about old memories:)

Colleen - the AmAzINg Mrs. B said...

Did you notice on the Compresso Belt - you can order extra "crotches" for $.50? Hmmm..if I'm ever out of crotches, I'll know where to go....