Friday, February 11, 2011

Thrifting....

Inside your head a little voice tells you, "go to America's Thrift Store, I know you are going to find some cool stuff.  Always listen to your inner voice, it can often be keenly in turn with the universe of good junk.  

This particular day was no exception.  

1.  Awesome, weirdo, shiny, pink, Asian tablecloth with cheesy fringe.

(it reminds me of the silky souvenir pillow covers of the 50's that represented divisions of the military...or states...or resort cities....kind of cheap looking, but oddly collectible now)



This tablecloth was a vibrant yellow paisley with hand sewn trim.  So fresh and fun!


This was my favorite doo-dad!  The 4-H plaque was a trip down memory lane for me.  I too, was a member of the 4-H club.  I participated in many crafts, demonstrations and my primo favorite part of 4-H....was CAMP!  I loved the arts-n-crafts shed where I learned to make wood signs, hammer and stain leather....and make oodles of embroidery floss bracelets.  Awe....memories.


Upon seeing the plaque I knew it was mine.  Upon flipping it over I read, "Alline Seagle camp of 1937".  I just envisioned myself sitting on a bench in 100 degree heat, wearing my favorite Hang 10 red shorts with my new "I'm A 4-H Camper" t-shirt and carving this same type of wood plaque.  Alline and I could have been kindred spirits. 


Memories!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Listen to your inner voice - you crack me up! LOLOLOL Same voice that told me today to go into a folkart pottery store that I've seen for over a year on my way back from NC every other weekend and spend $$$ LOLOLOL

cupcake studio said...

Oh my word...that 4-H sign is THE best! Dancing to Amos Moses at 4-H camp was my favorite...and the late nights in front of the sewing machine before judging. Thanks for the smile!